MCA logo
MCA logo

PUBLIC PORTAL

MEDICALLY REVIEWED

Philhealth Increases Support For Filipinos Affected By Strokes

philhealth stroke

A goal aimed at alleviating the multifaceted challenges faced by stroke patients, the Philippine Health Insurance Corporation (PhilHealth) has recently announced a substantial increase in benefits for individuals grappling with this debilitating condition. 

PhilHealth’s proactive response signifies a significant step toward enhancing comprehensive healthcare coverage and support for stroke patients. They are recognising the financial strain often associated with stroke treatment and recovery,

Understanding Stroke

Stroke, characterised by the sudden interruption of blood flow to the brain, stands as a formidable health concern globally. In the Philippines, it has earned the distinction of being the second most common cause of death. It currently has a prevalence rate of 0.9 percent. Two primary types of strokes, ischemic and hemorrhagic, contribute to this alarming statistic. They each present distinct challenges and necessitate tailored medical interventions.

PhilHealth’s Forward-Thinking Approach

In a recent public advisory, PhilHealth underscored its commitment to addressing the financial complexities associated with stroke care. The benefit packages for both ischemic and hemorrhagic strokes have increased. This is to better align with the actual costs incurred during treatment and recovery. Specifically, the benefit package for ischemic strokes has substantially increased from P28,000 to P76,000. Meanwhile, the coverage for hemorrhagic strokes has been elevated from P38,000 to P80,000.

The Financial Strain of Stroke Care

The augmented benefit packages are not merely numerical adjustments. They also represent a comprehensive effort to mitigate the financial strain bore by stroke patients and their families. The costs associated with stroke treatment encompass a variety of medical services, including hospitalisation, rehabilitation, medication, and long-term care. By strengthening the financial support, PhilHealth strives to ensure that individuals afflicted by strokes can access the necessary medical interventions without succumbing to overwhelming financial burdens.

Impact on Stroke-Related Mortality Rates

As of the most recent World Health Organization (WHO) data released in 2020, the number of fatalities due to strokes in the Philippines amounted to 74,167, constituting 11.00% of the total deaths. Stroke-related deaths in the Philippines are predominantly classified into two categories: ischemic and hemorrhagic. Approximately 70 percent of these fatalities are attributed to ischemic strokes, with the remaining 30 percent linked to hemorrhagic strokes. PhilHealth’s strategic decision to augment benefits for both types of strokes holds the potential to significantly impact mortality rates by facilitating more accessible and comprehensive healthcare for stroke patients. This holistic approach acknowledges the diverse nature of stroke cases. Additionally, it seeks to address the unique needs of each patient group.

Raising Awareness and Encouraging Timely Intervention

PhilHealth’s initiative serves as a catalyst for raising awareness about the broader landscape of strokes. It emphasises the importance of early detection, preventive measures, and timely intervention. Consequently, PhilHealth’s move aligns with ongoing efforts to promote a proactive approach to stroke care. The increased benefits not only provide immediate financial relief but also underscore the significance of prioritising stroke awareness, education, and preventative healthcare measures.

Conclusion

PhilHealth’s decision to amplify support for stroke patients through augmented benefit packages is a testament to its commitment to public health and the well-being of the Filipino population. By recognising and addressing the financial challenges associated with stroke treatment and recovery, PhilHealth takes a significant stride toward ensuring that individuals affected by strokes can access the comprehensive care they need. This proactive approach aligns with broader initiatives to improve healthcare accessibility and reduce the impact of stroke-related mortality in the Philippines.

Share via

Also worth reading

People also read:

mental health
The Effects of Diet on Mental Health: What You Need to Know

Discover the link between diet and mental health. A healthy diet that is rich in whole foods, omega-3 fatty acids, and probiotics can have a positive impact on mood, cognitive function, and overall mental well-being. Learn about the gut-brain connection, the benefits of omega-3 fatty acids, and how probiotics can help reduce symptoms of anxiety and depression. Find out how you can support your mental health through diet.

Read More »